Date of Graduation

Spring 5-17-2018

Document Type

Project/Capstone

Degree Name

Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)

College/School

School of Nursing and Health Professions

First Advisor

Francine Serafin-Dickson DNP, MBA, BSN, CNL

Abstract

An educational gap exists at the point of care with regards to pressure ulcer prevention for hospice clients. Medical personnel provide oral instructions, but they do not provide sufficient tools for future reference. This project consists of improving pressure ulcer education at the point of care. The nursing staff consists of ten nurses who act as case managers. They are a big part of client care within the hospice setting, which can vary from home care or care in a designated facility. To improve the current practice of providing just oral instructions to patients, an educational tool was created to increase the clients’ understanding about pressure ulcers. The tool’s effectiveness will be measured through the use of a post survey. Using this survey will ensure that we obtain valuable feedback from the nurses. Thus far, 92% percent of the nursing staff found the tool to be very effective. The remaining 8% felt as though the tool should include more information. However, they all understand that a need exists to improve education at the point of care and that the tool is a step in the right direction. The next step is to implement the tool system wide.


Included in

Nursing Commons

Share

COinS