Date of Graduation
Master of Science in Behavioral Health (MSBH)
School of Nursing and Health Professions
Dr. Kelly McDermott
Dr. Kathleen Raffel
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to increase rates of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) training and bystander response to Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA). This was accomplished by providing a short, one hour adapted CPR course with a stress management component targeting common barriers (e.g. psychological concerns) to bystander response for formerly incarcerated individuals at the Delancey Street Foundation.
Methods: The CPR course was adapted based off a literature review on the learning needs and preferences of this population. Data collection included:1) instructor evaluation of skills based on oral and simulation examination by students (adapted from the standard American Heart Association [AHA]). 2) Modified, white board-based focus groups, and 3) informal participant feedback. Four classes were taught to a total of 31 participants from Hispanic, Caucasian, African American, and Asian background and further adapted based off participant feedback from each modified focus group.
Results: All participants passed the group oral exam along with the simulation testing. Approximately 80% of participants passed the simulation testing on the first try. The other 20% passed on the second try after review. Results indicated the importance of kinesthetic learning and repetition for this population. In the modified focus groups, all participants reported that the stress-reduction technique was useful for everyday stressors in addition to situations dealing with SCA. Participants also reported feeling confident about performing bystander CPR and in their ability to teach their fellow residents.
Discussion: Findings suggest a shorten one hour adapted and tailored CPR course was just as effective in training individuals as the traditional four-hour course, based off the group oral exam and simulation testing. In order to work with this population, informality, kinesthetic learning, and repetition is essential.
Lee, Amanda, "Under Pressure: Tailored CPR with Stress Management for Formerly Incarcerated Individuals" (2018). Master's Projects and Capstones. 822.